Monday, January 12, 2015

Birthday Breakfast

This past Saturday, we had a birthday breakfast for my husband. I LOVE having breakfast birthday parties as opposed to parties in the late afternoon or evening. It's so much nicer and less stressful, for several reasons: 

1) Easy Menu

What could be easier than breakfast? I do a simple quick quiche, Ree Drummond's Baked French Toast and Best Coffee Cake. Ever. (both easy, amazing recipes that make breakfast guests very, very happy), link sausage, fruit, and cheese danish. Plus, coffee and juice. Everything except the quiche was made in advance. I even cooked the sausage thirty minutes before the party started and just kept it warm in the oven. 

2) No Frills

I set out a buffet in our kitchen, made a drink station over on the island, and put forks, spoons and the maple syrup in mason jars. There's no need to worry about appetizers or timing. When I invite people, I tell them we're eating at 10 am, and that's what we do. 

3) Fresh Guests

At 10 am, everyone is in a great mood. The guests have had enough time to have their first cup of coffee, get dressed, relax a little bit, and head out to the party. There was lots of laughing and conversation around the table. They aren't drained from a full day of work or errands or house cleaning, and I'm not interrupting their valuable Saturday by having the party at 4:00. No one was checking their watch, wondering how soon they could go home so they could collapse into bed. Most people left around noon and could enjoy the rest of their day. And...

4) Work First, Rest Later

So can I! Now, yes, I was up until about 11:30 on Friday night prepping and making the food. But, on Saturday morning, I didn't really have to start much in the kitchen until about 8:30. During that Friday night prep, I not only made as much as I could ahead of time (Ree recommends making her Baked French Toast the night before), I also set out the entire drink station (except for the actual juice and coffee, of course), forks and spoons, napkins, and made sure the sink was clean. I ran the dishwasher so I could unload it in the morning and have plenty of room for the dirty serving dishes. So once Saturday morning came, I had to assemble the quiche (I got all of the ingredients pre-measured/prepped on Friday night), put the french toast in the oven, and brown the sausage, but that was it for the food. I even made sure the fruit was already in its serving bowl before I went to bed on Friday. Once my guests left around noon, I did some cleaning, and then I could relax. 

5) Less Pressure for the Star of the Show

My husband does not love all of the attention at a birthday party. Especially during the opening of the presents. It can be a little stressful, as guests stare at you, seemingly with the hope that you will love this gift they have selected for you. While Shawn still opened gifts at his party, it was much more relaxed. We didn't even do a cake for him, since we had already done that at two other occasions (his actual birthday at our house and his birthday dinner at my mom's). We did do an impromptu rendition of "Happy Birthday" and even that was more fun, as it just occurred spontaneously. 

So, for your next gathering, consider a breakfast party. It doesn't have to be fancy. My guests brought their slippers and bright eyes, and as long as the food was hot and hearty and the coffee pot was full, they were thrilled. Of course, my guests were my family, so they were just thrilled that we were all together. But even if your guests aren't family, they will be happy - maybe even grateful - to be at a gathering where gathering is actually the focus. We had a blast on Saturday, and I'm already looking forward to my children's party in June, which will also be a breakfast party. Can't get enough of that Baked French Toast! ;) 

Party on! 


Best Coffee Cake. Ever. (See how it has been mangled by the desperate, hungry hands?)



Quick Quiche (eggs, bacon, cheese, onion - you can't go wrong)


Baked French Toast (throw some syrup on your serving and it is heavenly!)




No comments:

Post a Comment