Friday, January 9, 2015

Carrot Cake Supreme

It was my husband's birthday on Monday, but because of my niece's birth early that morning (welcome, Magdelaina Grace!!!), his birthday dinner at my parents' house was postponed. My mom makes each of her children (whether by birth or marriage) dinner of their choice every year for their birthday. Shawn always picks something Italian, and my mom never disappoints. For a WASP, she's a darn good Italian cook. 

Besides always picking something Italian, Shawn also has the exact same cake every year. Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. When we were first married, I was a bit intimidated by the prospect of finding a carrot cake that would live up to birthday expectations. I mean, it's carrot cake. Not most people's favorite. 

Fortunately, after some searching, I found this recipe for Carrot Cake Supreme. I chose it because it looked easy and sounded good. I was not disappointed!!! I have altered the recipe very slightly from the original by decreasing the oil and adding in coconut, and it definitely lightens the cake (in a good way!) and adds nice texture. Shawn loves it every time. I have also made cupcakes with this recipe and it works well. You could add chopped walnuts if you desire, but my family does not believe nuts belong in baked goods. :) 


Carrot Cake Supreme

3 cups grated carrots (I also use matchstick carrots in the produce section, and it turns out fine; one bag is enough)
2 cups flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 8 oz can of crushed pineapple, with juice
1/2 cup sweetened flake coconut (you can decrease or increase this, depending on how much you like coconut)
2 tsp vanilla extract 


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix carrots, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add in eggs, oil, pineapple, vanilla extract, and coconut. Pour into a greased 9"x13" pan. Bake for 35 - 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely before frosting. 
Frost with cream cheese frosting (recipe follows) and top with coconut. 

Cream Cheese Frosting

3 1/2 c. confectioner's sugar
1 8 oz. block of cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 tsp. vanilla

Blend together until you reach spreadable consistency. 


It's amazing!! This is the one time of year I eat carrot cake (because if there's chocolate around, why would I eat carrot cake?), and it doesn't disappoint me. Plus, it's so easy! I actually enjoy making this cake because I know it's going to be a success and make Shawn very, very happy. 

Here is a picture of the cake below, in all its deliciousness:


No comments:

Post a Comment